Orangepaint Factory is your one stop shop for all your custom needs. We can customize anything from cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, helmets, guitars, or whatever else paint will stick to! Our services include but are not limited to custom paint, airbrush artwork, graphics, murals, pinstriping, flames, metal-flake, pearls, candies, old school flat colors, or anything else you can think of.

If you can dream it, we can make it a reality!

Skulls and Fire


It may seem that all I paint is fire and skulls but practice makes perfect and the quicker I can paint them the faster I can create designs.

The new airbrush I ordered came in last week and this is the first job with it. I bought my last IWATA HP-C's about 20 years ago. Mind you there was about 10 years where they sat and collected dust.

I finally decided on the IWATA HP-C Highline and it is a great airbrush. This helmet was my first attemt with the airbrush and I am hoping  to get at it again this week but so far, I like it. At some point this week I will have to clear the helmet.

The new airbrush has what is called a mack valve, It allows you to adjust the air flow and I think this will serve very useful when it comes to fine detail with autoair white and black. I tend to dillute them more than recommended to help stop spitting and tip dry.




After prepping the helmet, I basecoated the helmet with Autoair black and then clear coated it. After wet sanding the helmet I was ready to start painting.

I started by lightly spraying the skull template with black. This will give me a guide to freehand airbrush the skulls.






Using a moss green color mixed with white, I started freehanding the skulls. Here I am adding basic detail. I will then go back and forth with black and the moss color mix to get the effect I am looking for.







The paint work took me a little over ten hours. Probably longer than I should have but I was playing with the various controls of the airbrush and paint consistancy. I still had issues with the tip dry and had to constantly clean the tip by pinching the needle end and pulling off the paint. You have to keep a close eye on this or you will get ugly spitting.






I also got the chance to use another one of my Harley logos cut with my Redsail cutter. The logo is about as small as I think I can cut but is a good size for helmets. It is a pain to strip the removable masking but I am so happy I don't have to cut it out by hand. So here are pics of the various sides.




Overall I am happy and picked up a few new tricks.


This was also the first time I painted barb wire. It wasn't as hard as I though and turned out pretty clean. I used 2 masks to create the effect.

First I cut a wavy cut through a piece of masking film separating it into 2 pieces. I layed them down on the helmet separating the pieces the width of the barb wire. I then sprayed the gray. I then replaced the pieces in a different formation so they criss crossed and sprayed the color.

I then cut the small barbwire tab and placed it over where the wires crossed and sprayed white to cover the surface. Using black and a curved template I sprayed the coil with two light passes. I then moved them to the other areas and did the same. I used diluted black to create the shadows and white for highlights. Pretty simple! Hope this works for you!

d

No comments:

Post a Comment