Orangepaint Factory is your one stop shop for all your custom needs. We can customize anything from cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, helmets, guitars, or whatever else paint will stick to! Our services include but are not limited to custom paint, airbrush artwork, graphics, murals, pinstriping, flames, metal-flake, pearls, candies, old school flat colors, or anything else you can think of.

If you can dream it, we can make it a reality!

Custom Geiger Stratoliner Bike Tank

This was a great project and the more I painted the easier the various textures got. When I started this custom paint I was not sure how I was going to tackle some of the features but as I moved forward many of the complex effects were quite simple to create.


As always this bike had to start from scratch. I had to sand out the factory Pinstriping on the Stratoliner. Sprayed high build primer/Surfacer and after sanding it smooth with 600 grit it was ready for basecoat and then clear to protect the surface and lock in the color. I wetsand the clear with 800 grit wet and I was ready for my real passion, airbrushing.

Step one was to mask off the areas I did not want to paint on. Here you can see where I masked the areas that were going to be pipes and the stressed metal effect.

Using House of Kolor white I create the layout of my design and work on building the shadow areas.

 

This picture show the final work before clear. I used House of Kolor black to render the details and all the shadowing. I went over the black with white to enhance the highlights and then with the black to darken any area that required it. By layering the white I was able to created different tones making it look like I used more colors.

The stressed metal and rivets were the final step. I sprayed diluted white over the grey basecoat using Airsick Stencils to create the texture and then came in with black to define the lines and create a aged look.

 

It was off for 4 coats of clear, wetsand with 800 grit and then 3 more coats of clear. Starting with 1000 wet and moving to 1500, 2000 and finally 3000 I was ready for buff an polish.

 

Here is a final shot I took of the tank. I was on a late fall ride and passed a cemetery with a dirt road access. I turned around and came back for a few shots. It was too hard to resist.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment